Monday, June 25, 2007

Baby Carrots and Movies

I am watching Age of Love. It is appalling. For those who don't know, this show follows Mark Phillippoussis as he dates women in their 20s and women in their 40s. I love how he refers to them as "the 40s" and "the 20s." Oh, what a dreamboat.

The other day at work, there were two signs on the refrigerator that said, "PLEASE HELP YOURSELF TO THE BABY CARROTS IN THE FRIDGE," followed by a smiley face. I found this very off-putting and funny for two reasons:

1. A quick read makes one mistake "baby carrots" for "baby."

2. There were two signs. On the same fridge. Was someone concerned that the first sign was not indication enough that there were communal baby carrots available? I also like how the sign specified that the carrots were, in fact, "in the fridge" for that one person who was totally psyched about carrots, but was like, "BUT WHERE ARE THEY?!" not thinking to check the same fridge where the two signs were posted.

A clever co-worker made his own version of the sign in ominous-looking serial killer font and posted it over one of the two signs. Someone later moved the serial killer baby carrot sign to a wall and drew an arrow in highlighter pointing to - you guessed it - the fridge. I believe the next step is to print out 50 signs and post them all over the office with arrows pointing to wherever the fridge is from that particular location.

I have watched some movies lately...

Babel - Good, but a little pretentious. I don't really need Hollywood to enlighten me about cultural differences, you know? There were some very interesting parts of this movie, particularly the whole Mexico segment, but there were also some very extraneous parts. The young Japanese actress was very good, but that whole storyline felt only loosely connected to the rest of the movie ... and a tad exploitative. Like, was there any need for it other than to showcase a naked Japanese girl?

Little Children - Very good. Kate Winslet is just lovely. The guy who played the sex offender was both creepy and pitiful. It fell apart a bit on the ending, but I mostly found this very engaging and an interesting examination of the underbelly of suburban life (with edge ... more like Weeds than Desperate Housewives).

Notes on a Scandal - This was an extremely stupid movie, which made it AWESOME. So, okay, Cate Blanchett is this teacher who has an affair with a 15 year old student, right? And Judi Dench is her friend and fellow teacher who finds out about the affair and basically uses it to blackmail Cate for her friendship because Judi Dench - Judi Dench, people! - has this big ole lesbian obsession with her. It is so ridiculous and campy and totally entertaining.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your blog but wish it has an RSS feed!